Principal Contractor Lagan Ferrovial Costain (LFC) has nominated the Transport NI A8 Belfast to Larne dualling project as a BuildHealth Champion Site.
BuildHealth, a health initiative developed by the Northern Ireland (NI) construction industry, is spearheaded by construction companies with support from the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI), employer organisations and trade unions.
Its overall objective is to improve the health of workers by preventing work related ill health, providing support and rehabilitation, and using the workplace as an environment to improve workers’ health. Member companies identify ’champion sites’ on which a BuildHealth management plan will be implemented.
As a BuildHealth champion site, LFC’s on-site activities on the Belfast to Larne dualling project include:
- Aproject-specific health management plan and facilitating its promotion within the supply chain.
- Health initiatives including heart awareness week, free cholesterol testing and blood pressure self-monitoring drop in sessions.
- Safety critical worker medical assessments, above and beyond the legal positioned requirements and current best practice.
- Drugs and alcohol testing regimes and associated support functions.
- Hosting visits by other contractors to showcase best practice in health awareness and promotion.
BuildHealth NI helps construction businesses manage health issues through sharing knowledge and best practice. Commitment from employers is essential, but so too is the involvement of workers. BuildHealth creates the opportunity to demonstrate commitment to good health of all those employed in construction.